1. Designs are based on a story from Methodist history: John Wesley’s journey by ship to America, when a great storm endangered his life and severely tested his faith.
2. David sketched the resulting design, producing a line drawing and a coloured version.
3. These drawings were sent to the stitcher, with a set of appropriate colours in crewel wool and some guidance notes created by our technical adviser Tracy A Franklin.
4. A not-quite-blank canvas! Stitchers are encouraged to embroider the panels in their own styles.
5. Valerie, who had chosen this design to embroider, was free to use stitches and techniques of her choice.
6. Other craft techniques were employed to add 3D textures to the panel.
7. Padding and shiny fabric bring the waves to life.
8. This panel is currently under construction – but is already able to induce sea-sickness!